You can also download these instructions as a PDF in our VisibleThread Server configuration guide support article
Deployment Models and Requirements
To understand our deployment models and installation requirements, please see our support article for on-premise VT Docs minimal requirements
This guide assumes that you have downloaded the VT Docs software. If you have not yet done so, please follow the download instructions
The deployment process is as follows:
- Download and deploy the VT Docs virtual machine
- Upload your license file
- Setup user accounts
- Test the VT Docs deployment
- Secure the VT Docs server
1. Deploy the VT Docs server
We support the following options for your on-premise VT Docs deployment:
- VMWare Server - If you run dedicated VMWare infrastructure (e.g. vSphere, vCenter, ESXi) you can deploy VT Docs using our OVA template.
- VMWare Workstation - If you have an available workstation that can act as a VT Docs server, you can use VMWare Workstation on that machine to run our virtual appliance.
- Amazon AWS / GovCloud - For AWS / GovCloud users see our support article for AWS / GovCloud deployment
- Azure, Hyper-V - If you run your servers in Microsoft Hyper-V or Azure we offer a Red Hat RPM for VisibleThread Docs
Contact our support team at email@example.com for any questions about these deployment options.
2. Upload your license file
Open a web browser and type the following in the address bar: https://<VisibleThread IP Address>
If you see a warning about an untrusted connection, it is safe to accept this warning.
You should be prompted for the VisibleThread admin username and password - these are 'visiblethread' and 'password' :
You should now see a screen similar to the one below, prompting you to upload your VisibleThread license.
Click the 'browse' button and select the license file supplied by the VisibleThread support team and upload it to the VisibleThread server.
Once the license file has uploaded successfully, click 'continue' to proceed to the VisibleThread user administration area.
3. Setup the VisibleThread users
VisibleThread users are managed via the VisibleThread administration application. The VisibleThread administration page is accessed via https://<VisibleThread Virtual Appliance IP>/sandboxAdmin. This page is protected by a username and password. By default the username is 'visiblethread' and the password is 'password'.
VisibleThread users are defined in terms of sandboxes, which are a collection of users and their documents. Sandboxes allow multiple users to work on the same set of documents.
The VisibleThread server contains a pre-configured 'Default Sandbox'. For typical deployments, all users in VisibleThread will exist within this sandbox.
To add users to this sandbox click on the 'Add/Remove users' link in the rightmost column and follow the steps described in https://support.visiblethread.com/hc/en-us/articles/214225366-How-do-I-add-remove-users-from-VisibleThread
4. Testing the deployment
To verify VisibleThread has been configured correctly, you can attempt to log on to the application using the username and password of a user you created in the previous step.
- Point your browser at https://< VisibleThread Virtual Appliance IP Address> and you will be presented with the dashboard sign-in screen. Enter the details of a VisibleThread user created in the previous section.
If the sign-in has been successful you should see the VisibleThread dashboard as per the screenshot below.
5. Securing your server
To secure your VisibleThread server you should follow the steps in our Securing a VisibleThread on-premise server support article