VT Docs deployment options
[LAST Updated: March 2015]
There are three basic models for deploying VT Docs. The most appropriate option for you will depend on your exact business needs.
VisibleThread On Demand (Cloud)
VisibleThread On Demand is a hosted solution available by subscription, literally ready to start working in minutes and flexible enough to grow with your needs. In this scenario we host your VisibleThread subscription in our cloud. We use Rackspace (www.rackspace.com) as our cloud infrastructure partner. This is the quickest way to get up and running with VisbileThread. Rackspace servers are physically hosted in the continental US.
If you are working with Sales Proposal's that have either export restrictions OR classified, this may not be suitable as some of our support staff are non-US nationals. We recommend you choose either our On-Premise or Private Cloud option.
For our security policy for on-demand customers, see: http://support.visiblethread.com/entries/23870346-VisibleThread-Cloud-Security-Policy
In this scenario the VisibleThread application is physically deployed on-site behind your corporate firewall. This will require some infrastructure allocated on your network to host the application, however this is typically very modest.
In this scenario the application is completely under your control. There is no communication of any type outside of your firewall. Use this approach for the most confidential content where legal or other restrictions prevent you using an on demand (cloud) approach.
For more information about this deployment option please see this support article: http://support.visiblethread.com/entries/22373367-Deploying-VisibleThread-On-Premise-behind-your-corporate-firewall
VisibleThread Private Cloud
This scenario is a hybrid of the previous scenario's.
In this model, you deploy the VisibleThread application in a private cloud under your control. We support and have certified the deployment of the VisibleThread application onto the AWS (Amazon Web Services) cloud infrastructure and can provide a VisibleThread AMI for you to deploy to your private cloud on AWS. We can also help you if you're using Microsoft Azure.
- If using AWS see this support article: http://support.visiblethread.com/entries/78089989-Deploying-VisibleThread-in-Amazon-AWS
- If using Microsoft Azure please contact our support team at email@example.com for guidelines.
If you have specific queries or general questions on how we work with private cloud deployments, please contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cloud vs On-Premise/Private Cloud?
When you should deploy on-premise/private cloud rather than in cloud for enterprise content?
We have many customers using our VT Docs and VT Readability solutions on-premise. Normally this is because they need to analyze proprietary and sensitive content. Often this content never reaches the public domain. Examples include; internal government memos or reports, a non released prospectus for a fund, or a high value government RFP.
We see this especially for organisations operating in sectors like Healthcare, Government, Defense and Financial Services.
In these cases, it is imperative that data is completely secure and unreachable by anyone outside the organization. IT teams will have large Information Security questionnaires that are very specifically seeking assurance around a variety of privacy and regulatory aspects of the software. In these cases, customers should deploy on-premise. Here are the considerations:
- Data and Privacy Compliance:Remember that there is no communication of any type outside of your firewall. Therefore you automatically satisfy any security considerations. With the On-Premise version the application is completely isolated from the Internet, and your organization's full control. This includes data held in the appliance. This satisfies all of your privacy, regulatory and compliance requirements.
- Low cost of IT Support:VT Docs is a productivity solution. The IT cost to support the VT Docs on-premise is extremely light. We estimate a maximum of 20 IT hours per year. This is concerned with initial deployment and any upgrades. Your users can enable/disable users in an intuitive user interface, with no requirement to consult the IT team.
- Gov Certified Environment:If you need a solution that is FedRamp certified, you can consider AWS private cloud which is a completely certified approach. From VisibleThread’s perspective this is also an on-premise approach/delivery of a self-contained virtual appliance.
- Or you can use any of our supported on-premise supported environments listed here: https://support.visiblethread.com/hc/en-us/articles/214225446-Deploying-VisibleThread-On-Premise-behind-your-corporate-firewall
The VisibleThread cloud version is not suitable. In our experience, pursuing a cloud deployment will end up spinning cycles, and ultimately not lead to a successful rollout.