This article contains the necessary instructions for upgrading an on-premise Readability Deployment to a newer release.
Note: This article applies to deployments using an Ubuntu virtual appliance. For customers deployed on Red Hat, see this article:
Upgrade files have an extension of ‘.tar.gz’ so an example file might be ‘VisibleThreadReadabilityUpgrade2.4.4.tar.gz’.
When an upgrade is available, the VisibleThread support team will be in touch with each customer with details on how to download the upgrade file.
When you have downloaded your upgrade file, it needs to be added to the /home/visiblethread/VisibleThreadTools/upgrades folders on the VisibleThread Virtual Appliance.
Uploading the upgrade file to the Virtual Appliance
You can upload the upgrade file to the Virtual Appliance via SSH (Secure SHell) using port 22.
The easiest way to do this is to use one of a number of freely available tools such as the FileZilla client (http://filezillaproject.org/) or WinSCP (http://www.winscp.net). The next section outlines the detailed steps to complete this:
- Connect to your Virtual Appliance using the following details:
- IP address
- Username: visiblethread – Password: password (unless changed)
- Port: 22
- Once connected, navigate to the /home/visiblethread/VisibleThreadTools/upgrades folder.
- Upload the upgrade file to this folder.
Back up the VisibleThread data
Note: We recommend that you perform a backup of data prior to upgrading, in the event that the upgrade encounters any unforeseen issues.
To do so, follow the steps outlined here https://support.visiblethread.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025227351
Applying the upgrade to the Virtual Appliance
The VisibleThread Readability server contains an upgrade script that will perform an upgrade of the application.
To run this script, log on to the server console and execute the following commands:
sudo ./vt-upgrade.sh upgrades/<upgradefilename.tar.gz>
Note: You may be prompted for the “visiblethread” user password when running this command.
This will unpackage the archive and deploy the release files and restart the application.
Verifying the upgrade is successful
To verify the upgrade was successful take the following steps:
1. Check the version of each of the following by running each command below:
dpkg -s vtapi-doc-worker
dpkg -s vtapi-web-worker
dpkg -s vtapi-scan-worker
They should all be version 0.22
- Browse to the Readability application, and verify the version number is 2.4.4. The version number should be displayed on the login screen.
- Sign in to the readability application and upload a document for analysis, verify the analysis completes.
- If you are using the Email service send an email with a document attached (Word or PDF document) to the email address you have designated for readability scans.
- Verify you get a response with the document analysis results.
The upgrade process generates a log file in the following location:
You should send this file to firstname.lastname@example.org and they will verify that the upgrade was successful.