A query come in from a customer last week asking how to insert symbols into concept lists. I wanted to share the answer. It'll be of interest for those who want to scan technical documents for measures etc..
Here's the mail extract:
I tried to load a couple of symbols (i.e. ° and Ω) into the Concept List in the online version. Sometimes my customers use deg or ohm. I am finding a lot of use of symbols.
I want to scan the specification for units (both text and symbol) to create Design Engineering documents called:
Outline of Requirements:
- 180 °C maximum operating temperature
- 50 Ω maximum impedance
- 20 MHz minimum frequency
- 100 MHz maximum frequency
- open MS Word with a new empty doc
- if in MS Word 2007 or 2010, click the 'Insert' ribbon
- at the far right of the ribbon, click the 'Symbol' option and insert whatever symbol you need
- now that the symbol is in the document, select it and copy it to the clipboard. To copy to the clipboard hit CTRL + C.
- now switch to VisibleThread, select your concept list under 'Reference Practices'
- then edit the concept list by clicking 'Edit' on the right hand side
- click 'New concept'
- click in the Name field
- finally paste the symbol using CTRL + V
- Save the concept list